Getting the Word Out
What a fun couple of weeks!! With the IBM i 7.2 announce has come a number of events to help get the word out. I spent a week at the Common event in Orlando and have since traveled to Europe where I am in the middle of a IBM i 7.2 and Modernization tour. Getting the word out on all the new functions and features is going to be a on going challenge. There has been a large number of enhancements that have been added to both the IBM i 7.1 release as part of our normal Technology Refresh process as well as the new function in IBM i 7.2.
When it comes to getting the word out to our user community, there are several options. Obviously, you have found one of them! You are reading this blog!!! There are other blogs that are written on a regular basis by some of the other IBM i leaders.
- Dawn May –
- Steve Will –
- Mike Cain –
But the best place to go for news on what is happening on IBM i is the IBM i zone in developerWorks – www.ibm.com/developerworks/ibmi/. The developerWork site is where the IBM i development team gets to communicate what we have been working on. There are a number of key places within developer works I would like to point out.
- – On a monthly basis, the development team will publish a feature article on some recent or important topic. This month feature topic all about the new IBM i 7.2 release. It was written by yours truly to give an overview of some of the key features of the release as well as the methodology we used to go about determining what functions we should deliver. Why did we deliver what we did. You can find this article directly at
- – The main landing page for the updates we continue to deliver is part of the Wiki component for developerWorks. The landing page lists a number of key technology areas that you can select from to learn more. In the left navigation area, expand the IBM i Technology Updates link. At the bottom of that list you will see links that take you to detailed content about each of the recent deliveries for IBM i. You will see a link to IBM i 7.1 TR8 as well as a more detailed list of update for IBM i 7.2. The Technology updates page can be found at
- – Just cant leave my database friends out on this, the database pages within developerWorks are excellent! The database team has been working on a continuous delivery model the past few years. Each TR they delivery new functions and features, or continue to updates existing function to provide a continual delivery of improvement.
- – I want to point out the Java page specifically. There has been an increased focus over the past few months on Security. I have been asked about security for Java on a number of occasions. The good news, we have been keeping a security page up to date for every CVE that is registered against Java. We document, which CVE actually effect Java on IBM i (there are some that don’t apply) as well as the Java PTF Group Level where the CVEs are corrected. You can find this info to help you remain compliant at
Changing gears, one of the very exciting new enhancements we recently delivered was our new Mobile iAccess support. Image being able to check your basic IBM i system management activities, out queues, review spool files, respond to operator messages, work with active jobs all from the comfort of your couch while using your favorite mobile device. Yea, any web enabled mobile device. This includes iPads, any Android tablet, even you favorite smart phone! In addition to the features already mentioned, this new mobile iAccess support also gives you an 5250 emulator with out requiring you to install anything on your mobile device. Sure you would not want to make this emulator your device for doing data entry, but then again you would never use your mobile device for that purpose either! I often get asked about other interfaces for being able to run the ‘RunSQL Scripts’ support. Traditionally that has only been a part of the client installed Navigator. Now with the new Mobile iAccess support you can also run your favorite SQL commands and check the results from the convince of your mobile device!
All this and of course more are now possible with the new Mobile access support that we have included in the IBM i 7.2 version of Access for Web (5770 XH2). While yes, this support is delivered as part of the 7.2 version for Access for Web, it is NOT exclusive to that release only. The latest version of XH2 actually installs on IBM i 6.1 and 7.1! This means you can get the mobile support now. Getting started with this support has never been easier. Follow these simple steps:
- Install 7.2 5770XH2 on your IBM i system
- Load 5770XH2 PTF SI52768 (or supersede)
- Load the latest IBM i HTTP Group PTF for the IBM i release you are using:
- – i7.2 – SF99713 (level 1 or later)
- – i7.1 – SF99368 (level 27 or later)
- – i6.1 – SF99115 (level 38 or later)
- CFGACCWEB APPSVRTYPE(*INTAPPSVR) INSTANCE(*MOBILE)
- Access this URL from your mobile device:
- Sign on with your user id and password
Notes about what we are actually doing. The CL command above, that is actually deploying the access for web mobile support to the new Admin5 server and starting it. If you have a firewall protecting your server, you will need to have port 2005 actually opened to the outside world. Yea, I know the URL above is showing 2001, we are catching that and then rerouting to the actual server and port. It is just easier for go with 2001, as most people remember that port number because we have been using that for such a long time. At this point you are off and able to play on your IBM i with your favorite mobile device from the comfort of your favorite chair.
For all the details, please see the iAccess Mobile site at – http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/i/access/mobile.html This support is currently being shipped as a technical preview. We will be continuing to update and enhance this support to make it more mobile centric as time goes on. If you are seeing something important that we should be added in the mobile space, please to let me know.